[Dovecot] dovecot evaluation on a 30 gb mailbox

Rajesh M 24x7server at 24x7server.net
Thu Jun 24 09:00:45 EEST 2010

stan

you are right ...

i am running qmail toaster for years now and this is production mail
server with over 5000 email boxes .. i dont want to migrate at all.

i recently upgraded to dovecot only for the imap part because courier was
trashing my server .. i was getting load levels of over 30-40 during peak
times

once courier was implemented my load levels were down to around 2-3

i am using squirrel mail and it has server side sort enabled

most users of mine have at the most around 100 to 200 mb of emails and
just a few users having 3-4 gb boxes

i am absolutely happy with the performance of dovecot

a 3.8 gb mail box opens in 8-10 seconds the first time and next time in
around 3 seconds

this 30 gb email box test is just to see how best dovecot can perform

my system is on centos with ext3 and is using 60 percent of drive space
so i believe it shud not be fragmented

i also feel that this is related to "index and cache" which is getting
expired or something like that.

i will try out what you suggested and revert

rajesh