[Dovecot] importing outlook express messages to dovecot imap server

Patrick Nagel mail at patrick-nagel.net
Fri Jun 25 09:02:54 EEST 2010

Hi,

On 2010-06-25 03:51 UTC Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> Angelo Chen put forth on 6/24/2010 10:25 PM:
> > I think that's one option, but it's around 10G data for the last few
> > years, and more than 100 folders under outlook express, do you think
> > that will be fast enough by using Outlook Express copying option to an
> > imap account?
>
> Look at it this way:  One way or another, in one format or another, you
> will have to copy the data over the network from the PC to the Dovecot
> server.  If you use the method myself and others have recommended, once
> the data is copied to the IMAP folders, you are done.
>
> Now, if you do it the other way, which is copying raw files over, you then
> have to convert them to maildir format.  It's a multi-step process.  And
> could be error prone.
>
> The first method is a single step process and is reliable.

I tried something similar (with Thunderbird) once, and it caused a lot of
trouble. We only had around 1.3 GB, IIRC, but thousands of folders. Here is a
blog article that I wrote after I got it done with a perl script:

https://patrick-nagel.net/blog/archives/77

Patrick.

--
Key ID: 0x86E346D4            http://patrick-nagel.net/key.asc
Fingerprint: 7745 E1BE FA8B FBAD 76AB 2BFC C981 E686 86E3 46D4