[Dovecot] Dovecot dies, maybe ntpdate related. I'm new to dovecot

Tapio Sokura oh2kku at iki.fi
Fri Jun 25 12:01:39 EEST 2010

On 25.6.2010 10:53, Xavi Montero wrote:
> The only change done in the server one week ago has been to install
> ntpdate, running once per day in cron-daily.
>
> In the cron reports, ntpdate reports a time-jump of 9 seconds each

Time jumps, especially backwards, are not a good thing on a server. You
should really consider changing from ntpdate to for example ntpd that
takes care of keeping the clock synchronized, without unnecessarily
stepping the clock. You should probably do this even if the actual cause
of Dovecot crashing turns out not to be the time jumps.

Dovecot typically logs via syslog, so the logs go where your syslog
writes them to. Usually something under /var/log.

   Tapio