[Dovecot] Dovecot dies, maybe ntpdate related. I'm new to dovecot

Jakob Curdes jc at info-systems.de
Fri Jun 25 12:38:10 EEST 2010

Am 25.06.2010 10:35, schrieb William Blunn:
> Xavi Montero wrote:
>> It has been running for several weeks but from one week ago or so, it
>> suddently dies about once per day.
>>
>> The only change done in the server one week ago has been to install
>> ntpdate, running once per day in cron-daily.
>>
>> In the cron reports, ntpdate reports a time-jump of 9 seconds each
>> night. We did this because "apparently" we did not a "soft time
>> drift" installing the full ntp daemon, but I start thinking the
>> time-jump crashes dovecot.
Exactly. On a production server you should alsways set the time on
startup against a good source, make sure your timezone settings are
correct, anbd then let ntpd keep the time precise using the same source .

>> QUESTIONS:
>>
>> - Might this time-jump cause dovecot to die?
It WILL cause dovecot to die. You will see this in the logs once you
found them.
>> - I don't know wehere the dovecot logs are written to. Where do I
>> start searching?
cf. http://wiki.dovecot.org/Logging

or wherever you configured it to go ....

<http://info-systems.de/de/impressum.html>