[Dovecot] dovecot evaluation on a 30 gb mailbox

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Jun 25 14:46:32 EEST 2010

On 25.6.2010, at 8.04, Denny Schierz wrote:

> Am Donnerstag, den 24.06.2010, 22:30 -0500 schrieb Stan Hoeppner:
>> Does running imapproxy in this scenario yield any benefit, given there
>> is no network traffic involved?
>
> it does. IMAPPRoxy caches for example all directories. If the user open
> a folder, then you have a new connection to the IMAP server, that can
> take a while (auth ...). After a few seconds the connection is closed
> (that's quite normal for webapplications like webmail etc.) and than the
> user requests a new folder ... . So the imapproxy can cache all these
> things and make the Webmail faster. The only problem is, if there are
> new folders, so maybe it can take a few minutes, before the folder is
> visible.

Last I looked, imapproxy had some kind of a SELECT cache and possibly something else. They were implemented in an unreliable way and unless something has changed, I wouldn't recommend enabling them. Also I doubt any of them help with performance with Dovecot.

Most people seem to be saying imapproxy helps a lot, because they noticed it helped so much with Courier/UW-IMAP..