[Dovecot] dovecot evaluation on a 30 gb mailbox

Eric Shubert ejs at shubes.net
Fri Jun 25 23:46:59 EEST 2010

Rajesh M wrote:

>>> hi eric
>>>
>>> few questions
>>>
>>> i wil enable lda exclusively for this one 30 gb email box using .qmail
>>> file see the performance improvement .. is that ok ?
>> I believe that would be fine.
>>
>>> can i safely enable atime for this user maildir  ?
>> Sure. That's simply a performance consideration. I don't believe that
>> atime is used for much of anything, so either atime or noatime is safe.
>> noatime is just a little faster because the inode (where that piece of
>> information is stored) doesn't need to be updated each time a file is
>> accessed.
>>
>>> thanks for your help
>> Sure. I'm eager to see your results.
>>
>> --
>> -Eric 'shubes'
>>

> hi eric
>
> this is what i plan to do
>
> as per
> http://wiki.dovecot.org/LDA/Qmail
>
> i need to enter the following line in a .qmail file under the Maildir
> directory of the user
> |/var/qmail/bin/preline -f /usr/local/libexec/dovecot/deliver -d $EXT@$USER

the location is /usr/libexec/dovecot/deliver on my system.

> i would add an email forward using qmailadmin web interface (which creates
> the .qmail file) and then manually edit the .qmail file and put the above
> line in it (so that ownership and permissions are taken care off)

That sounds ok. The permissions/ownership I'm seeing on .qmail files is:
-rw-------   1 vpopmail vchkpw   101 Mar 26  2008 .qmail

> now i would also need to edit the dovecot.conf file
> could you guide me on what changes do i need to dovecot.conf file ?

Others on this list would be more help than me regarding this. From the
looks of it though (after browsing the dovecot.conf file, which is well
documented btw) I don't think you'd need to change a thing. We'll
certainly find out if that's the case or not. I'd just give it a go.
Perhaps on a test account initially. ;)

--
-Eric 'shubes'