[Dovecot] Thunderbird problem

Stan Hoeppner stan at hardwarefreak.com
Sat Jun 26 06:02:09 EEST 2010

Steffen Kaiser put forth on 6/25/2010 7:01 AM:

> 2) thunderbird opened too many simultaneous connections to the server. I
> do not remember where they would blocked or terminated, but in some
> cases thunderbird did not seem to detect this failure

This is a pet peeve of mine.  Recent TB revs default to opening 5 IMAP
connections.  Some time ago I did more than cursory testing and found that
TBird only uses 1 of the 5.  The other 4 just sit there idle, adding clutter
to the process list and eating a small amount of RAM.  If it weren't for
Linux' share memory management these processes would be eating a whole ton of
RAM on busy Dovecot servers.

Anyway, since testing I force all my user TBird configs to a single IMAP
connection.  No problems.

--
Stan