[Dovecot] Thunderbird problem

Sun Jun 27 19:37:23 EEST 2010

On 2010-06-25 11:02 PM, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> This is a pet peeve of mine.  Recent TB revs default to opening 5
> IMAP connections.

It's default has been 5 connections since for as long as I can remember
that option being there, and we've been using TB exclusively in our
office since about version 0.9...

> Some time ago I did more than cursory testing and found that TBird
> only uses 1 of the 5.  The other 4 just sit there idle, adding
> clutter to the process list and eating a small amount of RAM.

I don't think this is accurate... I say this because I recall a problem
a long time ago where I had to decide between lowering the number of TB
connections, or raising the max per IP for the Courier IMAP server we
were using at the time - I chose the latter (change it in one place
rather than many dozens)...

http://kb.mozillazine.org/IMAP:_advanced_account_configuration

> Anyway, since testing I force all my user TBird configs to a single
> IMAP connection. No problems.

Whether or not this will work depends on the environment...

I think what matters is that the number of connections that TB is
expecting to be able to use be *less* than the max supported by the IMAP
server. I do know that as soon as I changed the MAX number of
connections per IP in Courier to 5, all of our problems went away.

--

Best regards,

Charles