[Dovecot] Use both SQL and LDAP

Shayne Jellesma shayne at stmartins.sa.edu.au
Tue Jun 29 15:52:22 EEST 2010

Hey guys,

I am just wondering if it is possible to use both SQL and LDAP queries at
the same time to get information.

Example on why I want to do this:

I work at a school where we have the need for 2 separate types of mailbox
configuration (better wording is eluding me at the moment). Staff and
Students currently share the same email server. I would like to be able to
give staff a bigger inbox (eg: 500MB) than students (eg: 50MB).

The way I am thinking, if this is even possible, to pull username and group
membership from Active Directory. Check the groups against a SQL query to
give the user the appropriate mailbox size. Also, having email is a
privilege, not a right at my school so is it also possible to check if a
user is part of a BannedEmailUsers or AllowedEmailUser group so I could
quickly and effectively disable accounts as needed.

I apologise if this is a little hard to follow. Writing what I want has
never been a strongpoint for me J

I also apologise if this has been asked, or information is available
somewhere. I did search and didn't come up with much.

Regards,

Shayne Jellesma
Network Administrator / ICT Support
St Martins Lutheran College