[Dovecot] Thunderbird and shared mailboxes

Keith Edmunds kae at midnighthax.com
Tue Jun 29 17:39:07 EEST 2010

> > namespace:
> >   type: shared
> >   separator: /
> >   prefix: shared/%%u/
> >   location:
> > maildir:/home/imapmail/%%u/Maildir:INDEX=~/Maildir/shared/%%u list:
> > children
>
> You should have subscriptions=no here. Other than that, it looks ok to
> me.

I actually do have "subscriptions=no" there, but dovecot -n doesn't report
it.

> > 2 select shared/kae/stuff
> > 2 NO Invalid mailbox name: shared/kae/stuff
>
> This is correct. Did you look at the log file for errors when trying it?

I did have errors relating to the tilde in the INDEX entry above; I've
fixed that by changing that line to:

location =
maildir:/home/imapmail/%%u/Maildir:INDEX=/home/imapmail/%u/shared/%%u

I've put the full output of 'dovecot -n' at the foot of this mail.

However, I still don't seem to be able to select the shared folder:

1 login def def
1 OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ SASL-IR LOGIN-REFERRALS ID ENABLE SORT
SORT=DISPLAY THREAD=REFERENCES THREAD=REFS MULTIAPPEND UNSELECT IDLE
CHILDREN NAMESPACE UIDPLUS LIST-EXTENDED I18NLEVEL=1 CONDSTORE QRESYNC
ESEARCH ESORT SEARCHRES WITHIN CONTEXT=SEARCH LIST-STATUS ACL RIGHTS=texk]
Logged in
2 select shared/kae/stuff
2 NO Mailbox doesn't exist: stuff
3 logout
* BYE Logging out
3 OK Logout completed.

1 login kae kae
1 OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ SASL-IR LOGIN-REFERRALS ID ENABLE SORT
SORT=DISPLAY THREAD=REFERENCES THREAD=REFS MULTIAPPEND UNSELECT IDLE
CHILDREN NAMESPACE UIDPLUS LIST-EXTENDED I18NLEVEL=1 CONDSTORE QRESYNC
ESEARCH ESORT SEARCHRES WITHIN CONTEXT=SEARCH LIST-STATUS ACL RIGHTS=texk]
Logged in
2 getacl stuff
* ACL "stuff" "def" lr "kae" lrwstipekxacd
2 OK Getacl completed.
3 logout
* BYE Logging out
3 OK Logout completed.

The only log entries from the above are login/logout messages, no errors.

Timo, very grateful for your continuing help, and hoping we can get this
resolved soon.
3 OK Logout completed.

Thanks,
Keith

dovecot -n:

# dovecot -n
# 1.2.11: /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
# OS: Linux 2.6.26-2-486 i686 Debian 5.0.4 ext3
log_path: /var/log/dovecot.err
log_timestamp: %Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S
disable_plaintext_auth: no
login_dir: /var/run/dovecot/login
login_executable: /usr/lib/dovecot/imap-login
mail_location: maildir:/home/imapmail/%u
mbox_write_locks: fcntl dotlock
mail_plugins: acl imap_acl
namespace:
  type: private
  separator: /
  inbox: yes
  list: yes
  subscriptions: yes
namespace:
  type: public
  separator: /
  prefix: info/
  location:
maildir:/home/imapmail/public/info:CONTROL=/home/imapmail/public/info/.%u.control:INDEX=/home/imapmail/public/info/.%u.index
list: yes subscriptions: yes
namespace:
  type: public
  separator: /
  prefix: customers/
  location:
maildir:/home/imapmail/public/customers:CONTROL=/home/imapmail/public/customers/.%u.control:INDEX=/home/imapmail/public/customers/.%u.index
list: yes subscriptions: yes
namespace:
  type: shared
  separator: /
  prefix: shared/%%u/
  location:
maildir:/home/imapmail/%%u/Maildir:INDEX=/home/imapmail/%u/shared/%%u
list: children auth default:
  passdb:
    driver: pam
  userdb:
    driver: static
    args: uid=imapmail gid=imapmail
plugin:
  acl: vfile
  acl_shared_dict: file:/var/tmp/shared-mailboxes
  mail_log_events: delete undelete expunge copy mailbox_delete
mailbox_rename mail_log_fields: uid box msgid size from subject
#