[Dovecot] Saving Sent Messages to Sent Folder

Thu Mar 4 16:13:05 EET 2010

On 2010-03-04 8:44 AM, Steffen Kaiser wrote:
>> Given: Postfix can be configured to use the Dovecot LDA for delivering
>> mail incoming.

> And that's all what's needed.
>
> Configure your postfix to honor subaddresses, IMHO, it's seperated by
> "+" in postfix, and pass it as argument of "-m" option to deliver.
>
> Configure your MUA to always BCC to me+Sent at example.net
>
> This config has three advantages over the traditional one:
>
> 1) you transmit the message over the wire just once.

Interesting, and yes, apparently this would suffice as a workaround for
individual users, but imo the less configuring that needs to be done *in
the client* the better - most importantly, there is less chance of
problems from a user configuration error. I'd prefer to just uncheck the
'Save a copy' option, and let the save to sent happen totally on the
server side.

> 2) you know that, if to send the message failed, the message is not
> sent, in opposite to differ from "upload to Sent via IMAP failed" in the
> second stage.

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean here (language problem most
likely)...

> 3) the message in your Sent mailbox has the queueid. Debugging is much
> easier.

I'm guessing if this could be done with some kind of dovecot LSA proxy,
that the queue ID could still be saved (and even additional headers
added if desired).

> One disadvantage:
>
> 1) If the message is accepted, but for what reason ever is discarded by
> the MTA, the data is lost.

Why would it be accepted then discarded? Anyway, in such a case the data
is lost regardless, right?

--

Best regards,

Charles