[Dovecot] Saving Sent Messages to Sent Folder

Thu Mar 4 17:05:07 EET 2010

On 2010-03-04 9:32 AM, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> LEMONADE group solved this with IMAP URLAUTH (RFC 4467) and SMTP BURL
> (RFC 4468) extensions. The idea is basically (copy&pasting from RFCs):
>
>    C: RCPT TO:<ron at gryffindor.example.com>
>    S: 250 2.1.5 ron at gryffindor.example.com OK.
>    C: BURL imap://harry@gryffindor.example.com/outbox
>            ;uidvalidity=1078863300/;uid=25;urlauth=submit+harry
>            :internal:91354a473744909de610943775f92038 LAST
>    S: 250 2.5.0 Ok.
>
> So after receiving BURL command, SMTP server connects to IMAP server and
> fetches the message:

But wouldn't this also require the MUA to support the concept of an
'Outbox'? TB3 currently has partial support for an Outbox, but only for
'sending messages in background', not for letting the *server* pick them
up and handle it. Yes, support could be added, but I'd much prefer
something purely server side that just works regardless of the MUA. Of
course, the MUA would have to have a configurable option to *not* 'save
a copy' of messages it sends on the server (I would think most do), and
support would also have to be added for postfix, which I have no idea if
Wietse would have any desire to do this (I lean toward not).

The thread is progressing on the postfix list though, and it appears a
working solution just might be achievable now through the use of
sender_bcc_maps and sieve, if you are using postfix, dovecot and the
dovecot LDA...

I'll post here the result of that conversation to clarify if this can be
done...

--

Best regards,

Charles