[Dovecot] Mailing list's prefix

Ben Winslow rain at bluecherry.net
Thu Mar 4 23:55:45 EET 2010

On 03/04/2010 03:59 PM, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> Do you think I'd break a lot of people's filters if I removed the
> prefix? :) Anyone strongly for/against removing it? It seems kind of
> annoying to me whenever I happen to think about it.

I vote to keep it.

Although I filter on List-Id, occasionally my filters break and I end up
receiving a bunch of list messages in my INBOX.  When this happens, the
first thing I do after fixing my filters is search for mailing list tags
in subjects (because practically every mail client on earth supports
doing so) and move those messages into the right place.

One of the features I miss from claws-mail, now that I'm using
Thunderbird again, is the ability to remove text matching an arbitrary
regexp from all messages in a folder.  I used to remove the [Dovecot]
prefix using this, but since it was only hidden from view I still had
the benefit of being able to search for it.

--
Ben Winslow <rain at bluecherry.net>