[Dovecot] [dovecot] - filters

Rick Romero rick at havokmon.com
Fri Mar 5 01:43:12 EET 2010

Quoting "Joseph Yee" <jyee at ca.afilias.info>:

> On 4-Mar-10, at 4:36 PM, Rick Romero wrote:
>
>> Quoting "Marcus Rueckert" <darix at opensu.se>:

>>> and with an LDA that speaks only sieve?
>>> how do you do it there?
>>>

>> This is better for procmail (doesn't change Subject if [Dovecot]
>> already there)
>> :0 fhw
>> * ^List-Id:.*Dovecot Mailing List
>> {
>> :0
>> * !^Subject:.*\[Dovecot\]
>> {
>>       :0 fhw
>>       * ^Subject:\/.*
>>       | formail -I "Subject: [Dovecot] $MATCH"
>> }
>> }
>>

>> I don't know enough about Sieve to give an example..
>> what you want is:
>> 1. List-Id head contains "Dovecot Mailing List"
>> 2. Subject does not contain [Dovecot]
>> 3. Pass email to formail to modify Subject ( built in Sieve equivalent?)
>>
>> HTH
>>
>> Rick
>>

> So what happen if I had this promail recipe and I reply to list?
>
> If the subject line is "Dovecot Mailing List", will it become "Re:
> Dovecot Mailing List" or "Re: [Dovecot] Mailing List"?  (I think
> it's the latter case)
>
> If it's the latter one, I vote to keep the prefix now.
>
> The prefix helps visual eye filtering, works for people (including
> me) who keep all new email to inbox rather than direct them to other
> folder before reading them.
>
> I vote to keep the prefix even it's the first scenario, but I'm not
> strong into must keep prefix in both cases.

The procmail recipe would mark a reply as:
[Dovecot] Re: Mailing List

UNLESS you replied to it.  Then your MUA would prepend the [Dovecot]
with Re: just like it does now.

So it wouldn't be exactly the same.  You'd have to figure out how to
insert text... It's just getting bigger and uglier - though I'm sure
some expert could trim it...  also untested...

:0 fhw
* ^List-Id:.*Dovecot Mailing List
{
   :0 fhw
   * !^Subject:.*\[Dovecot\]
   {
       :0 fhw
       * ^Subject: Re:\/.*
       {
          :0 fhw
          * ^Subject:\/.*
          | formail -I "Subject: Re: [Dovecot] $MATCH"
       }
       :0 fhw
       {
          :0 fhw