[Dovecot] Using MySQL For Mailboxes?

Carlos Mennens carloswill at gmail.com
Mon Mar 8 17:52:46 EET 2010

I have always seen some people indicate they use MySQL for mailboxes
in Postfix and I wondered how difficult something like this would be?
I have 300 users on my company Postfix server right now. I am just
using Postfix, Dovecot (IMAP4 only), & Roundcube (Webmail). I have
MySQL loaded on the machine that runs Postfix but only to manage the
database for Roundcube. Do you think that 300+ users is recommended
for a MySQL database for mailboxes?

Secondly, how difficult is it to configure this? Right now everyone
user has a home directory and a mailbox in their private home folder.
Is it hard to configure Postfix & Dovecot to use MySQL mailboxes? Just
looking for some suggestions since I couldn't find a log of info via
Google.

*PS* I was told that Dovecot doesn't support MySQL mailboxes. I think
it does. Am I wrong?

http://howtoforge.com/forums/showthread.php?p=221396#post221396