[Dovecot] extraneous mail folder created

John Moorhouse john.moorhouse at 3jays.me.uk
Sat Mar 13 13:19:26 EET 2010

I'm trying to set up dovecot on a Fedora box for about 5 users, I have a
raid 5 array that is used for home folders etc mounted on /home, and I've
created a directory /home/mail, which I have used a sym link to map
/var/mail to. I've created folders for each of the users with relevant
permissions and edited the dovecote config with:-

namespace private {
separator = /
prefix = "#dbox/"
location = dbox:~/mail:INBOX=/var/mail/%u
inbox = yes
hidden = yes
list = no   # for v1.1+
}
namespace private {
separator = /
prefix =
location = dbox:/var/mail/%u/mail
}

This all seems to work with the exception that when a imap client attaches to dovecot an empty folder called 'mail' is created in the users home directory. so for client jenni, whist all her emails etc are stored in /home/mail/jenni/ for INBOX and /home/mail/jenni/mail/ for folders etc, an empty folder is created as /home/jenni/mail/

Any help appreciated

John