[Dovecot] Extra Imap processes

Dominique St-Amand domze.sa at gmail.com
Mon Mar 15 06:43:52 EET 2010

Hello fellow dovecot users!

I have a question for you guys. I have a server running dovecot/exim and I
allow both pop/pops and imap/imaps. When I look at the running processes, I
see a lot of imap processes that look like the following: imap
[user at domain.tld USER_IP]

Sometimes, there are duplicates imap [user at domain.tld USER_IP] processes.

I was wondering, how come those processes don't quit and stick around in the
system? Should they quit after the user issued the disconnect command from
its mail client?

Also, is there any way to actually make them to quit or should I make a
shell script that runs at a certain period of time and actually kill those
processes?

Thanks