[Dovecot] ACL problem

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Mar 16 22:41:39 EET 2010

On Tue, 2010-03-16 at 21:26 +0100, SZÉKELYI Szabolcs wrote:
> > > I seem to have a problem with ACLs. I'm trying to use them on shared
> > > folders those work fine without it. But as soon as I enable the plugin
> > > and create the dovecot-acl files, they disappear.
> >
> > What disappears? The mailboxes?
>
> No, they stay in place. I mean they disappear from the folder list as seen on
> the IMAP client. It's not a client-side caching issue, I requested the folder
> list from the server using IMAP commands by hand (with telnet), and they don't
> show up if I enable ACLs.

Well, that's normal when you enable ACL plugin, because for public
namespace the default ACLs is "no permissions".

> > > I used strace to see if there's a problem
> > > with file permissions, but it looks like Dovecot doesn't even attempt to
> > > access the dovecot-acl file in the maildir, only the dovecot-acl-list
> > > files.
> >
> > Did you try deleting the dovecot-acl-list file? That causes it to be
> >  rebuilt.
>
> Yes, I deleted them before every check I did. The strange thing is that it
> never makes an attempt to open a file named dovecot-acl inside the shared
> folder's maildir. It tries to access dovecot-acl-list files however (which it
> shouldn't; it should look for such files in the control directory, right?).

No, all dovecot-acl* files are supposed to exist in maildir itself
(because some people want to use per-user control dirs).

When there's no dovecot-acl-list file (in /data/mail/logs), it's
supposed to build it by reading all dovecot-acl files.

You could also try out stuff by not LISTing mailboxes, but rather trying
to manually SELECT one of the mailboxes that's supposed to exist. When
you get that working, LIST is the next thing..