[Dovecot] Overly long email of miscellaneous Dovecot migration questions

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Mar 17 22:35:05 EET 2010

On Wed, 2010-03-17 at 13:27 -0700, Mark Moseley wrote:

> I'll definitely keep that in mind. I should be able to keep things
> pretty segregated in terms of POP3 alone or IMAP alone but my big
> worry is that Courier POP3+Dovecot IMAP scenario.

I know a large installation that was (is?) using Dovecot IMAP + Courier
POP3 for years. That works fine. Or there were some problems, but I
think they were mainly related to some external tools that assumed
things worked the way Dovecot did them, but Courier messed up that
expectation.. I can't remember specifics.

Anyway afterward when migrating POP3 to Dovecot, the migration script
should also work fine as long as you delete courierimapuidlist files
before running it, so that it'll only try to preserve POP3 UIDLs. Of
course, testing it well is still a good idea..