[Dovecot] GlusterFs - Any new progress reports?

Jan-Frode Myklebust janfrode at tanso.net
Thu Mar 18 20:55:51 EET 2010

On 2010-02-17, Ed W <lists at wildgooses.com> wrote:

> Anyone had success using some other clustered/HA filestore with dovecot
> who can share their experience? (OCFS/GFS over DRBD, etc?)

We´ve been using IBM´s GPFS filesystem on (currently) seven x-series
servers running RHEL4 and RHEL5, all SAN-attached all serving the same
filesystem for probably 4 years now. This systems serves POP/IMAP/Webmail
to ~700.000 mail accounts. Webmail is sticky, while POP/IMAP is being
distributed over all the servers by HAproxy.

It´s been working very well. There´s been some minor issues with dovecots
locking that forced us to be less parallell in the deliveries than we
wanted to, but that´s probably our own fault for being quite back-level
on dovecot.

The biggest pain is doing file backups of the maildirs...

  -jf