[Dovecot] Shared mailboxes basics

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Mar 19 21:11:32 EET 2010

On Fri, 2010-03-19 at 17:27 +0100, Thomas Hummel wrote:

> a) I wonder if TB even support the SETACL command since I don't see how I can
>    modify an ACL through the TB UI.

It doesn't.

> b) For things to work, I had to set up loose permissions on the maildirs and
> the shared-mailbox file. I've read on this list (from the 1.2 beta days) that
> it is supposed to be easier with virtual user (as opposed to system users) :
> why ? mailboxes end up being on the filesystem anyway...
>
> In fact, I don't really understand the difference between virtual and system
> users...Aren't they seen as almost the same for dovecot ?

Yes, they're basically the same. But in that context "easier for virtual
users" means "easier if all your users use the same uid", since most
people use the same uid for virtual users.. (I don't think wiki confuses
these two things?)

> c) What's weird also is if I put a "dovecot-acl" file in a maildir I want to
> share, TB does not see it. But if I telnet and issue the SETACL command which
> end up generating the same dovecot-acl file, TB then sees the shared mailbox...

Yes, because SETACL updates also the shared-mailbox file, which contains
information about what mailboxes are visible to who. Without that,
Dovecot would have to look through all users all mailboxes to see if
there happens to be any dovecot-acl files that contains rules for
current user, which of course would be really slow.

Maybe for v2.0 I could add doveadm acl command to help with these
things.