[Dovecot] can Dovecot do VERP?

Brian Candler B.Candler at pobox.com
Thu Mar 25 16:14:45 EET 2010

On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 06:40:22AM -0700, Rick Graves wrote:
> How do I set this up in the IMAP server to accept emails to addresses matching the wildcard pattern?

Normally incoming mail doesn't arrive via IMAP; it arrives via SMTP.

So you'd configure an SMTP server (e.g. exim) to accept incoming mail, and
to deliver it into the appropriate mailbox. exim is very flexible and can
be configured with all sorts of policy for validating e-mail addresses.

Here's an example of the sort of thing you can do
http://psg.com/~brian/software/authbounce/configure-authbounce.txt
(that particular example adds a magic header rather than VERP)

You may also get some useful hints searching for exim and BATV/PRVS:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bounce_Address_Tag_Validation

Regards,

Brian.