[Dovecot] dovecot user

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sat Mar 27 07:11:45 EET 2010

On 27.3.2010, at 7.01, Stan Hoeppner wrote:

> Noel Butler put forth on 3/26/2010 8:12 PM:
>
>> Nice Marco...
>> OK, Timo, we must have a winner here with " dovenull",  surely :P
>
> I fear anything with "null" in it will be confusing to people
> not-in-the-know.  The average OP may see that process name and think it's a
> dovecot trashcan for various unwanted bits/bytes, maybe deleted mails or
> some such.  I think it will confuse too many OPs, at least initially.

That's definitely better than what people now think of "dovecot" user. "dovenull" is a user who can be thought of as "trash": no files should be owned by dovenull, dovenull shouldn't belong to any groups and in general it shouldn't have access to anything at all. Preferably it should even have restricted access to network, but there's no standard way to configure that.