[Dovecot] Which Authentication Method Best Between FreeBSD and Macintosh?

Martin McCormick martin at dc.cis.okstate.edu
Mon Mar 29 16:44:52 EEST 2010

	I recently discovered that I need to occasionally
forward Email from a FreeBSD system to a Macintosh. Imap does
look like the best solution to this problem. The mail program on
the Mac lists several protocols such as pop (okay with me) and SSL
certificates which I want to avoid if at all possible.

	Which of the several listed methods of authentication
should I compile in as I build dovecot on the FreeBSD system?

Options for dovecot 1.2.10
[X] KQUEUE       kqueue(2) support
[ ] SSL          SSL support
     [ ] IPV6         IPv6 support
[ ] MANAGESIEVE  ManageSieve support
[ ] GSSAPI       GSSAPI support
[ ] VPOPMAIL     VPopMail support
[ ] BDB          BerkleyDB support
     [ ] LDAP         OpenLDAP support
     [ ] PGSQL        PostgreSQL support
     [ ] MYSQL        MySQL support
     [ ] SQLITE       SQLite support                   ³ ³

	IPV6 is not used here and my laziness says to avoid
creating any new data bases or data base servers to support
something I will probably use once every 2 or 3 months for one
or 2 messages. I just want to get on the Mac and read messages
posted in a certain account on the FreeBSD system.

	Sorry if this all sounds a bit odd, but I usually read
mail on the FreeBSD box. Occasionally, I get a message
containing a 20-mile-long URL that works better when using the
Mac's safari browser tools.

	Presently, I have succeeded in compiling dovecot on the
freeBSD system which runs and looks like it is ready to work.
The Mac contacts the freeBSD box and then both appear to get a
death grip on each other and nothing much happens until I force
a quit of mail on the Mac.

	Thanks for any suggestions.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
Systems Engineer