[Dovecot] Can Dovecot do this...

Steffen Kaiser skdovecot at smail.inf.fh-brs.de
Wed Mar 31 12:05:56 EEST 2010

On Tue, 30 Mar 2010, Robert Lopez wrote:

> First, the From: information and Reply-To: information will be
> re-written from what ever they may be to become that person's college
> email address.
>
> Second, the email will then be routed to an intended recipient be it
> within our community or outside of our community.

Third, the envelop sender (MAIL FROM in SMTP protocol) is to be rewritten.

> Is if this senario is possible?

Yes.

> Would postfix on the new system do the address re-writes or would
> Dovecot do it?

postfix, because this is a service of a MTA.
Postfix needs SASL to authentificate users, then an user DB to get the
user information (aka mail address) from.

> What would store the information necessary for the reply routing?

I don't understand this.
You have to configure postfix, to replace header information. IMHO Postfix
should not care about whether this is "reply" information or anything
else.

> What would happen in one internal address to many external address
> situations?

You meddle with sender information in all situations (VIP -> internal,
VIP -> external), so no problem.

> If the project was simplified by removing the ability to reply to an email;
> so it was only a way to route external to external with rewrite is is then
> possible?

It makes no difference, per RFC nobody has the right to send mails
"without the ability to reply on" except for DSNs. ;-)

I cannot help you with your postfix configuration, because I don't use it.

Regards,

- --
Steffen Kaiser