[Dovecot] Questions, Issues with 2.0

Kelsey Cummings kgc at corp.sonic.net
Tue May 4 01:25:48 EEST 2010

I'm trying to use an external program to set the location of user's
maildirs to match an existing hashing schema but the docs for how to do
this in 1.x do not seem to apply to 2.0 or I'm misinterpreting them.

protocol imap {
  mail_executable = /opt/dovecot-test/sonic-imap

This correctly executes the and attempts to sets the MAIL variable but
it appears that mail_executable is run before the user is logged in so
the $USER variable isn't set and the process' uid is still 0.

We also need to have dovecot include an additional maildir for each user
that is currently stored outside of the user's main maildir directory into
the same namespace as a specific folder name.  Is there a way to do this
in dovecot directly or will it need to be hacked (as it is currently with
courier) or could it be done with a plugin?

I've also noticed that while doveconf complains about mail_executable:

May  3 13:44:10 a dovecot: config: Obsolete setting in
/opt/dovecot-test/etc/dovecot/conf.d/imap.conf:7: mail_executable has
been replaced by service { executable }

However, when replaced as suggested by doveconf:

protocol_imap {
   executable = /opt/dovecot-test/sonic-imap

It fails altogether:

doveconf: Fatal: Error in configuration file /opt/dovecot-test/etc/dovecot/conf.d/imap.conf line 7: Unknown setting: executable

Similarly, it also suggests 'drop_priv_before_exec = no' which doesn't
appear to be valid either.

--
Kelsey Cummings - kgc at corp.sonic.net      sonic.net, inc.
System Architect                          2260 Apollo Way