[Dovecot] Any Knowledge, pls: Iphone and Dovecot - 2-way sync

David Warden warden at geneseo.edu
Wed May 5 17:08:04 EEST 2010

On May 5, 2010, at 9:36 AM, Lucio Godoy wrote:

> Hey JC;
>
> No funny stories, just trying to find out if the IPhone 3Gs will work with Dovecote Imap server, and do a full-sync, unlikely the Blackberry and BIS.
>
> thanks
>
> Lucio

> We want to hear all your funny, exciting and crazy Hotmail stories. Tell us now

Lucio,

The short answer is yes. The iPhone 3Gs' IMAP client is compatible with Dovecot.

There are a few things to watch out for:

 - Inbox prefix. If you have other IMAP servers that have this value set you need to make sure that when you set up your IMAP account that you define the Inbox prefix before you connect. This setting is called "IMAP Path Prefix" on the iPhone and is in the Advanced settings for an IMAP connection. You don't have to worry about this unless you have other IMAP server software (especially Courier) that is going to access the same mailstore as dovecot AND has an Inbox prefix defined.

 - Default folders for sent/trash. This isn't a dovecot issue, but the iPhone (like all Mac IMAP client software) will, by default, automatically create and use the folders "Sent Messages" and "Deleted Messages" on the IMAP server for sent and deleted messages, respectively. This is only really a problem if you access your IMAP server from a non-Apple IMAP client like Thunderbird, which uses "Sent" and "Trash" for the same purpose. In the worst case scenario, you end up with multiple effective trash and sent folders, but it can be an annoyance.

Hope this helps,
David W.