[Dovecot] wrong config file?

Dennis Guhl dg at dguhl.org
Fri May 7 18:43:36 EEST 2010

On Fri, May 07, 2010 at 10:59:45AM -0400, Phil Howard wrote:
> The sample provided config file (the one I started with by editing it)
> included the following text:
>
> # ------------------------------ WARNING -------------------------------
> >
> > # If there's a file /etc/dovecot/dovecot-postfix.conf, which is part of
> > # dovecot-postfix package, it will be used instead of dovecot.conf.
> >
> > # Keep in mind that, if that file exist, none of the changes in
> > # /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf will have effect on dovecot's configuration.
> > # In that case you should customize /etc/dovecot/dovecot-postfix.conf.
> >
> > # ------------------------------ WARNING -------------------------------
> >

> So I expected it would use that by default.  It seems to not be doing so.
> Does this mean I have to modify the startup scripts to add the -c option to
> force the use of this config file?  Or should I just put all my configs in
> the default "/etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf" file?
>
> When doing "dovecot -n" it became apparent that my configs were not being
> used.  But "dovecot -c /etc/dovecot/dovecot-postfix.conf -n" was doing it.
> Any idea why it's not behaving as those comments described?

Ubuntu is using dovecot-postfix.conf as the working config file if you
install the package 'dovecot-postfix' from the Ubuntu server team. But
if you install the seperate packages 'dovecot-[common|imapd|pop3d]'
dovecot.conf will be used.

And it might be, that your master.cf does not call dovecot deliver
with '-c /etc/dovecot/dovecot-postfix.conf' as part of argv=.

Dennis