[Dovecot] dovecot/deliver ... Can't open log file /var/log/dovecot/error.log: Permission denied

Phil Howard ttiphil at gmail.com
Mon May 10 21:50:52 EEST 2010

On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 14:42, Charles Marcus <CMarcus at media-brokers.com>wrote:

> On 2010-05-10 1:59 PM, Romer Ventura wrote:
> > I had to chmod 777 for it to work..
>
> That's pretty much *never* a reasonable solution.

Absolutely right!

But it's an interim test ... in this case to see what userid the created
file would be owned by regardless of the creator's credentials.  What I
discovered is, it is not "vmail".  It is the system user that is the same as
the username part of the email address (and that is not supposed to be the
case).  Postfix is choosing the wrong userid to run dovecot/deliver as.  It
should be "vmail".  But I can't find a way to tell it that (so of course
it's going to do whatever its default is).  If it can setuid/seteuid to some
arbitrary user as it is doing now, then it must be running as root at that
point.  So it should be able to just as easily setuid/seteuid to "vmail" ...
if I can just find a way to tell it that.  More Postfix doc reading to do.