[Dovecot] dovecot/deliver ... Can't open log file /var/log/dovecot/error.log: Permission denied

Phil Howard ttiphil at gmail.com
Mon May 10 22:35:15 EEST 2010

On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 15:25, Jerry <dovecot.user at seibercom.net> wrote:

>  From my 'master.cf' file:
>
> dovecot   unix  -       n       n       -       -       pipe
>  flags=DRhu user=vmail:vmail argv=/usr/local/libexec/dovecot/deliver
> -f ${sender} -d ${user}@${nexthop}
>
> From 'main.cf' file: (snippet)
>
> virtual_gid_maps = static:1002
> virtual_minimum_uid = 100
> virtual_transport = dovecot
> virtual_uid_maps = static:1002
>
> Obviously, I have that user:
>
> pw showuser 1002
> vmail:*:1002:1002::0:0:Virtual Mail User:/nonexistent:/usr/sbin/nologin
>
> My log file is has 0600 permissions and its owner/group is 'vmail'.

So what does this make Postfix do?  Run one instance of dovecot/deliver and
pipe email to it?  Maybe that is the right solution and running it via
mailbox_command is wrong?

So what is virtual_minimum_uid doing for you if virtual_uid_maps is static?
Or why are any of these even relevant if everything is being piped to a
process started via master.cf?

And (problem I posted in a separate thread) does %d get assigned correctly
with the domain name for mail_location = if this method of running
dovecot/deliver is used?