[Dovecot] Best location for indexes?

Curtis Maloney cmaloney at cardgate.net
Tue May 11 09:21:25 EEST 2010

On 05/11/10 16:05, Brandon Lamb wrote:
> I cant seem to find anything via a google search, so if this has been
> answered I apologize.
>
> I am wondering if INDEX=MEMORY is going to give the best performance
> versus files? I have a server with directly attached storage, 8 gigs
> of ram, about 500 gigs of data.

> I am ok with losing and having to rebuild the indexes on a reboot as
> the last uptime was over 200 days

Last I checked, INDEX=MEMORY rebuilds the index on demand, on each
_connection_.

Your best bet is to keep the indices on disk.  Certainly, if you can
keep them on a separate spindle from the mail store, you may find a
performance improvement through parallelism and lack of seek clash.

--
Curtis Maloney