[Dovecot] dovecot/deliver ... Can't open log file /var/log/dovecot/error.log: Permission denied

Phil Howard ttiphil at gmail.com
Tue May 11 21:06:49 EEST 2010

On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 12:59, Gerard Seibert <dovecot.user at seibercom.net>wrote:

> I have to admit that I am somewhat confused. You have "postfix" listed
> as user/group in the dovecot.conf file, yet you have "vmail" listed as
> the user in 'master.cf". That doesn't look right.

I'm not sure which way things are supposed to be, and I've been trying
changes, some of which worked (which confirmed I didn't understand it to
begin with).  There are too many different usernames (although I can
understand the need to have a certain number of distinct isolation users) to
keep straight.  Which ones go where.  There being a lack of a thorough
document to configure BOTH postfix and dovecot together makes this harder.

> Do you actually have a user with uid 252?

dovecot:x:250:250:Dovecot mail server,,,:/usr/lib/dovecot:/bin/false
postfix:x:251:251::/var/spool/postfix:/bin/false
vmail:x:252:252::/tmp:/bin/false

I am assuming that you are not using "mydestination =
> 17.DOMAIN.NAMES.REDACTED" as a virtual delivery address. Virtual
> domains must not be listed in "my destination". I could not find a
> "virtual_mailbox_domains"
>
> virtual_mailbox_domains ($virtual_mailbox_maps)
>              Postfix is final destination for the specified list
>              of   domains;  mail  is  delivered  via  the  $vir-
>              tual_transport mail delivery transport.

All 17 (and more to come) domains are destined for this MACHINE.  And I have
gotten email delivered through Dovecot already, which was addressed to one
of these machines.

I do think Postfix has always had a somewhat different notion of what
"virtual user" is than what I'm doing.  If it does make the distinction
between Postfix itself as a destination (defined by "mydestination") and
Dovecot as a different destination, then the obvious question now is, what
do I assign the list of domains (which includes the domain this machine's
hostname is in) that go to Dovecot (which, BTW, for now, is all of them)?
For temporary reference for discussion purpose, until someone tells me the
real variable name to use, I'll call it "dovecotdestination =".  So what is
that real variable name?

I've done virtual users in Postfix before ... this way.  And this way is the
only one that worked.  What was described as virtual users in Postfix docs
did not work.  When I discussed this with Postfix people on the list a long
time ago when I set that up (elsewhere), they said that it was not really
"virtual users" in the sense that Postfix thinks of virtual users.  I had
"local" delivery going by other means.  For THIS setup, I am trying to make
local deliver go to Dovecot.  And that is successful.  And the deliver
program is getting what I think it should be getting (the domain name is in
the message headers and on the command line).

Personally, I think that you should take this up on the Postfix forum.
> Post the output of the "postfinger" and "dovecot -n" and I think that
> you will be able to get your problem solved. It looks to me like you
> have "virtual" configured incorrectly. It certainly is not configured
> like I have it on my system. I use purely "vitual" users and have
> "mydestination = " in main.cf on my system.

I'm not seeing how this is a Postfix issue, yet.  The mail is getting to
Dovecot, and it includes the domain name in the addresses.  But Dovecot is
not filling in the %d variable.  I don't see how that is a Postfix issue.

FYI, I am on the Postfix list, already.  Maybe what is needed is a list just
for combination users, those using Dovecot and Postfix together?

Jerry