[Dovecot] Sieve problem. Timo, is this mbox file size limitation hard coded? If so, why?

Stan Hoeppner stan at hardwarefreak.com
Wed May 12 06:31:52 EEST 2010

B. Johannessen put forth on 5/11/2010 1:31 AM:
> On 11/05/10 04:06, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
>> It would be nice if there
>> was a short heads up regarding this in the dovecot wiki postfix LDA
>> and/or
>> sieve sections.  I'll mention this on postfix-user as well.
>
> From http://wiki.dovecot.org/LDA:
>
> "Note that Postfix's mailbox_size_limit setting applies to all files
> that are written to. So if you have a limit of 50 MB, deliver can't
> write to log files larger than 50 MB and you'll start getting temporary
> failures."

No wonder I didn't find it.  It's buried in the "logging" section of the
main LDA page instead of the Postfix section, where one would assume to find
_Postfix specific_ LDA information.

Timo, any chance we could get this text moved into an appropriate place on
the Postfix LDA page where it belongs?  I'm sure it would be very helpful to
future Postfix/LDA/mbox users.  And also add the error message they'll see
in the logs when they run into this problem, something like:

Jan 1 00:00:00 hostname dovecot: deliver(user): write() failed with mbox
file /home/user/mail/foo: File too large

Thanks for pointing this out Bob.

--
Stan