[Dovecot] Can't get Thunderbird 2 to delete a folder under mdbox (Dovecot 2.0beta5)

William Blunn bill+dovecot at blunn.org
Thu May 13 12:02:39 EEST 2010

Can't get Thunderbird 2 to delete a folder under mdbox (Dovecot 2.0beta5)

I have built Dovecot 2.0 and installed it under "/opt/dovecot2".

I have done the minimum configurations necesary to get it to work with
SSL, systems users but with a secondary password database, and set up
mail location as "mdbox:~/dbox".

I had to create the directory "dbox" in the user's home directory to get
things working.

Using Thunderbird 2, I can happily copy messages into this system and
read them out again, and that all works.

In the user's "~/dbox" directory, I get a "storage" directory and a file
"m.1".

I can also create folders, and nested folders, and put messages into
those and read them out again, and that all works.

If I try to delete a folder through Thunderbird 2, what happen is that
the folder gets moved to be under a folder "Trash" (which Thunderbird
calls "Deleted").

So if I had a folder "foo" and deleted it, I end up with a folder
"Trash/foo" (which Thunderbird calls "Deleted/foo").

Fair enough: Thunderbird is doing a trash can model on folders.

I then go to remove the folder foo from "Trash". Thunderbird doesn't
complain, and the folder disappears from the folder list.

But upon re-starting Thunderbird, we see that the folder "foo" is still
there under "Trash". So it seems the folder was never properly deleted.

Perhaps this is a bug in Thunderbird 2, but since this is a beta Dovecot
with a new storage subsystem, I thought I would suggest that it might be
an issue with Dovecot 2.0beta5.

Regards,

Bill