[Dovecot] mdbox: Cannot create subfolder called "dbox-Mails" (2.0beta5)

William Blunn bill+dovecot at blunn.org
Thu May 13 12:14:17 EEST 2010

I am trying out "mdbox" under Dovecot 2.0beta5.

Looking in the "mailboxes" directory under the mdbox storage root
("~/dbox" in my case), I can see that the mail folders are mapped into
filesystem directories.

But Dovecot seems to put all the message list information
("dovecot.index.cache", "dovecot.index.log") for any given mail folder
into a directory called "dbox-Mails"...

But this directory name exists in the same namespace as that used for
mail subfolders...

So this means we cannot create a mail subfolder whose name is "dbox-Mails"!

I concede that this eventuality may be unlikely, but when designing in a
green field, surely we should avoid such obvious pitfalls?

Surely we would want to make it so that these objects exist in different
namespaces, so that mail folders can be created with any name?

So perhaps the directory "dbox-Mails" should use a character in its name
which could not be used in mail folder names.

Or mail folder names could have a non-identity mapping into directory
names such that the directory name can never be "dbox-Mails".

Regards,

Bill