[Dovecot] dovecot/deliver ... Can't open log file /var/log/dovecot/error.log: Permission denied

Noel Butler noel.butler at ausics.net
Sat May 15 00:48:22 EEST 2010

On Fri, 2010-05-14 at 09:05 -0400, Phil Howard wrote:

> On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 19:25, Noel Butler <noel.butler at ausics.net> wrote:

> > %d is derived from the right hand side of a username, dovecot's deliver
> > couldn't care less about verifying the domain, since that is the MTA's
> > job.
> >

> No doubt.  However, the big question is WHICH particular instance of
> user at domain does it derive domain from?  There is more than one inside the

MTA's, LDA's etc, only use the envelope recipient, only clients care
about data recipient
But I see in another post you may have resolved that now.

> That's a different mode of operation of Postfix that I have had troubles
> with in the past.  The big one I remember having (of more than one) was that
> it treated all the domains as equivalent.  That is, bob at example.com and
> bob at example.net were the same.  OTOH, that may have been due to mishandling
> of, or by, the NON-Dovecot delivery agent I was using back then.
>
> So I'll try this with Dovecot deliver.  Been out of the office for a couple
> days, so I hope I'll have some time today to give it a shot.

perhaps, but I'd be more betting on teh way you setup postfix to handle
virtual users

> I don't see how one database lookup method vs. another database lookup
> method has anything to do with whether email users are virtual or not.  The
> actual DATA that comes back from the lookup might.  But the method itself
> should be transparent to the mail delivery decisions.  In another thread,
> CDB was asked for, for a future Dovecot.  How do you feel about CDB?  Does
> using CDB make users virtual or system?

CDB, oh dear god, you want to go back in time?
CDB is no better than any other flatfile based system, it was horrible
with qmail and it'll be horrible with anything else above a couple
thousand users, you clearly dont add/del users all the time, rebuilding
its DB can take some time (I've seen some take 3 minutes, tuff luck if
your clients want to add a few users,... so using that is something you
cant afford to do as a SP.
MySQL makes it such a dream, even with customers adding aliases and so
on, its a simple instruction to mysql via the web portal from them, and
using replication means every front end has its own local copy, and able
to fallback to the master if for some reason it becomes  unavailable
(never seen that in all the years been using it tho, but its nice
insurance)

its your network (I hope for your sake).. its up to you how efficient it
is.