[Dovecot] Setting up a 'rootless' server - user and auth_user cannot be the same

Jason Ahrens dovecot at cougarcorp.net
Sat May 15 17:05:05 EEST 2010

I am trying to follow http://wiki.dovecot.org/HowTo/Rootless to set up
a personal dovecot server that does not use 'root' and does not need
to change uids/gids. I'm trying to set it up on a Cygwin personal
system.

The problem I'm running into though, the directions say to set "user"
and "auth_user" to be the same in this setup. However when you do
this, Dovecot compains and will refuse to start up. Did I miss
something?

$ ./dovecot --version
1.2.11

$ ./dovecot -n
# 1.2.11: /usr/local/etc/dovecot.conf
Error: login_user cyg_server (uid 1005) must not be same as auth_user
Fatal: Invalid configuration in /usr/local/etc/dovecot.conf

Config trying to use:
protocols = imap
disable_plaintext_auth = no
ssl = no