[Dovecot] Setting up a 'rootless' server - user and auth_user cannot be the same

Jason Ahrens dovecot at cougarcorp.net
Sun May 16 16:53:41 EEST 2010

On Sat, May 15, 2010 at 9:54 AM, Charles Marcus
<CMarcus at media-brokers.com> wrote:
> On 2010-05-15 11:59 AM, vuser1 at test123.ru wrote:
>> I am trying to follow http://wiki.dovecot.org/HowTo/Rootless to set up
>> a personal dovecot server that does not use 'root' and does not need
>> to change uids/gids. I'm trying to set it up on a Cygwin personal
>> system.
>
> You need to follow the directions found there then.
>
> Your config is missing stuff from the 'The important settings to change
> for rootless installation are:" section...

So I played around with this suggestion and came across the following issues:

1) The sample config has an invalid directive. 'ssl_disable' is not
valid. I'm assuming that 'ssl = no' is the same as 'ssl_disable =
yes'. If I can get confirmation of that, I'll update the wiki if no
one else does.

2) If I set the 'user' and 'auth_user' fields to my own login, it
works fine (or at least passes 'dovecot -n'. If I set it to the
'cyg_server' user I get the error message about not being able to use
the same user. I'm not really clear on the logic used to determine
when a user can or can not be used for both. Is there an explanation
of this so I can design my layout accordingly? I tried
'first_valid_uid = 1' to see if it would help, did not. cyg_server is
already UID 1005 though, so didn't really expect it to.

Jason