[Dovecot] dovecot/deliver ... Can't open log file /var/log/dovecot/error.log: Permission denied

Noel Butler noel.butler at ausics.net
Tue May 18 00:14:36 EEST 2010

On Mon, 2010-05-17 at 09:28 -0400, Phil Howard wrote:
> On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 17:48, Noel Butler <noel.butler at ausics.net>
> wrote:
>

>         MySQL makes it such a dream, even with customers adding
>         aliases and so
>         on, its a simple instruction to mysql via the web portal from
>         them, and
>         using replication means every front end has its own local
>         copy, and able
>         to fallback to the master if for some reason it becomes
>          unavailable
>         (never seen that in all the years been using it tho, but its
>         nice
>         insurance)
>

> MySQL (or PostgreSQL, etc) has its place.  And for things like CRM
> with a lot of different aspects, that is the way to go.  But even
> then, I would (and have for other purposes) just export the data out
> of the SQL database and build a fast index like CDB.  However long it
> takes to build CDB is NOT downtime; it's just lag from data entry to
> activation.  And there are ways to work around that if the lag is an
> issue, such as having

I guess you've never used it with tens and tens of thousands of users,
let alone user numbers well into 6 figures
and why on gods (or any) earth would I use that load of crap being
backed up by another  form? that clearly makes no sense, we have backup
provisions being mysql replications sure but thats nothing like what you
do.
your method is pure insanity in this day and age.

> a CDB first, followed by another lookup that may have the most recent
> data.  For example, when the list of new users arrives, add them to a
> Berkeley DB that is queried next when the CDB has no match.  Thus they
> work even while the CDB (think of it has a static cache) is being
> rebuilt.  One thing I would NOT do is have mail servers hitting the
> CRM database (or its replicas) directly.  It's not a performance
> issue; it's a security issue.  The larger the operation, the more
> important this is.

I guess you've been bitten by a proper database solution given your
apprehension for using one.

>         its your network (I hope for your sake).. its up to you how
>         efficient it
>         is.
>

> CDB is very fast.

yes it is, if you only have a small number of users.

(please use reply to list, not reply to all)