[Dovecot] looking for IMAP testing tool

Phil Howard ttiphil at gmail.com
Wed May 19 00:32:14 EEST 2010

On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 15:50, Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi> wrote:

> imaptest actually allows something similar to that. It has possibility to
> "expect" kind of scripts where it sends some commands and expects something
> specific in return. There's a tests/ directory that tests a lot of imap
> commands replies. I don't remember if it currently supports matching
> multi-line replies, and if it does it would be a bit difficult to write
> those for larger emails.
>
> Anyway, it doesn't support SSL/TLS. You could run it through stunnel
> though.

What I need is a program that already has all the logic to do IMAP as a
client already in it.  This isn't about testing IMAP logic per-se.  It's
about making sure mail is going through OK, and logins that should fail will
fail, and mail deliveries that should fail will fail (for example mail from
a computer listed as blocked should never show up in the mailbox designated
to test that, along with mail that has keywords specifically marked as "is
always spam").  It's testing at a higher level than seeing if a given IMAP
command gives the expected response (which is more of a diagnostic tool than
the monitoring tool I need).