[Dovecot] newbie question about shared folders

Tom Lieuallen toml at engr.orst.edu
Wed May 26 20:27:06 EEST 2010

I'm preparing to move our site to dovecot 1.2.11 and have a question
about shared folders.  We're currently using UW imap's mbx mailboxes for
shared folders.  We accomplish the sharing by use of file system
permissions and ACLs.

I notice that dovecot's method of sharing is more based on IMAP ACLs and
apparently file system permissions are useful, but not necessary.

On the main dovecot page, it says:  "Dovecot allows mailboxes and their
indexes to be modified by multiple computers at the same time..."

So, my question is whether I need to use the dovecot imap sharing
namespace in order to safely share imap folders, or whether I can just
use file system permissions as we have been using?  My biggest concern
is safe concurrent access to the shared folders, which I'm planning to
implent with mbox files for now.

thank you

Tom Lieuallen
Oregon State University