[Dovecot] recipient_delimiter

Phil Howard ttiphil at gmail.com
Thu May 27 19:27:26 EEST 2010

On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 16:59, Jerry <dovecot.user at seibercom.net> wrote:

> By the way, Postfix must be properly configured to pass the email
> address to dovecot. I leave that as an exercise to the user. You might
> want to start here thought:
>
>        http://wiki.dovecot.org/LDA/Postfix

I already have this:

dovecot   unix	-	n	n	-	-	pipe
  flags=DRhu user=vmail:vmail argv=/usr/lib/dovecot/deliver -f
${sender} -d ${user}@${nexthop}

Maybe /usr/lib/dovecot/deliver is just the path the Ubuntu package
team chose for Dovecot?

The intent is to deliver into the mailbox INBOX for the user without
the extension, but with the extension still in there where user
scripts can see it and choose to act on it.  I don't want an explosion
of folders in the event of a DoS attack via massively randomly
generated extensions.

So the big question is, is Postfix supposed to split at + and pass
user instead of user+ext to the transport program, or is
dovecot/deliver supposed to split at + and and use that for %n ?  If I
knew what was SUPPOSED to happen, it would be easier to make use of
understanding some of the logic to make it happen.

It's one thing to know what something MEANS.  It's entirely different
to know what something DOES.  I think the latter is more meaningful,
but it also depends highly on knowing that aspect of everything.