[Dovecot] 1.2.11, mbox, new mail

Stan Hoeppner stan at hardwarefreak.com
Fri May 28 04:14:04 EEST 2010

Timo Sirainen put forth on 5/27/2010 9:37 AM:
> On Thu, 2010-05-27 at 00:03 -0500, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
>> With 1.2.11 and mbox storage, the delay time in pulling new mail headers to
>> the client from imap folders seems to be directly proportional to mailbox
>> size, regardless of the number of new messages.  At present, if the mailbox is
>> large, pulling new headers is rather painfully slow.
>
> See if mbox_very_dirty_syncs=yes helps.

Yes Timo, initial use after enabling this seems to have helped dramatically.
The wait time on my 13k+ folder seems to have dropped from about 10 seconds to
less than 1 second.  Thank you for the suggestion.

What, if anything, am I sacrificing, or what new problems might I cause, by
using mbox_very_dirty_syncs=yes?    Previously I was using mbox_dirty_syncs = yes.

--
Stan