[Dovecot] Virtual inbox folder bug

Antonio Henrique Oliveira tat at moosaico.mail.pt
Wed Nov 3 14:44:59 EET 2010

On 03-11-2010 10:40, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On 2.11.2010, at 21.50, Antonio Henrique Oliveira wrote:
>
>> All of my email is delivered in some folder other than the real inbox via sieve scripts.
>> My inbox is, therefore, a virtual folder, which only displays the unread emails on all the folders in the account.
>>
>> Everything works fine *except* that, when I mark an email as read or when I open an email directly on the inbox, it does not disappear from the inbox (as it should since it is not unread after being open or being marked as read).
>
> The mail removal is delayed until you issue EXPUNGE command (in TB I guess that's called "purge") or reopen the mailbox. Otherwise if the message was immediately removed when marked as read, you wouldn't even have a chance to read it before it got removed.

I've tried that and it still is not working. I haven't watched the IMAP
"conversation" between Thunderbird and Dovecot (I'll see if I can do it
later). I've opened a message directly from the Inbox, asked TB to do a
"compact" on the folders (which I believe issues an "EXPUNGE" command to
the imap server) and the mails are still there, marked as read, but
still showing up on the "virtual" inbox.

Strangely enough, if I access the virtual folder directly the messages
do not show up there. Maybe it's thunderbird's fault? Can somebody else
try to reproduce this and see what' happens? Maybe with a different mail
client.

Regards,
--
Anto'nio Henrique A. Proenca de Oliveira
"Although we can never go back, like an old sweet

$Id: .signature,v 1.5 2008/03/13 11:22:00 tat Exp tat $