[Dovecot] Sieve not working

Christoph Pleger Christoph.Pleger at cs.tu-dortmund.de
Sun Nov 7 14:41:26 EET 2010

Hello,

> > I installed dovecot 2.0.6 and pigeonhole 0.2.1 on my system, but I guess
> > that sieve is not working, because netstat does not show that anything is
> > listening to ports 2000 and 4190.
>
> You mean that the Sieve protocol (ManageSieve) is not working.
>
> > protocols = imap lmtp
>
> Add 'sieve' to this setting.

Hm, I thought that I had already done that by uncommenting the following line
in /etc/dovecot/conf.d/20-managesieve.conf:

protocols = $protocols sieve

But now I see that this is overwritten in dovecot.conf, because I uncommented
the line "#protocols = imap pop3 lmtp" in that file and explicitly
set "protocols = imap lmtp" and that overwrites the setting in
conf.d/20-managesieve.conf.

In my opinion, my problem is a direct result of a design error in the default
dovecot.conf. This is an excerpt:

# Most of the actual configuration gets included below. The filenames are
# first sorted by their ASCII value and parsed in that order. The 00-prefixes
# in filenames are intended to make it easier to understand the ordering.
!include conf.d/*.conf

# Protocols we want to be serving.
#protocols = imap pop3 lmtp

This is an excerpt of conf.d/20-managesieve.conf:

# Uncomment to enable managesieve protocol:
#protocols = $protocols sieve

Looking closely to this, it is obvious that uncommenting the protocols-lines
in both files will not make managesieve available, because the protocols-line
from dovecot.conf is evaluated after the protocols-line from
conf.d/20-managesieve.conf.

I suggest to change the default dovecot.conf so that the files from conf.d/
are included at the end, not at the beginning.

Regards
  Christoph