[Dovecot] Todays Performance Data for 2.0.x

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Nov 9 22:50:26 EET 2010

On Tue, 2010-11-09 at 20:56 +0100, Ralf Hildebrandt wrote:

> > So, yeah, looks like the process initialization is wasting time
> > somewhere. I'll look further into it.
>
> Thanks a lot!

Hmm. I added a few minor optimizations to hg, which probably don't help
all that much. Removing config and auth-master lookups didn't make much
of a difference, so I don't think those are the main problem.

I haven't yet seen any logparse lines about master, log or anvil
processes. Also the auth processes were probably auth workers, not the
master auth process. Do you have those? (They won't be logged until you
stop Dovecot.)

You could also next time try "configure --without-shared-libs", maybe
that makes some difference since there's less work for ld.so at startup.

Looking at your config.. This isn't doing anything useful anymore in
v2.0, just wasting some CPU:

service imap {
  drop_priv_before_exec = yes
}

Same for pop3/managesieve.

Also I remember asking about passdb shadow and you said it's because of
master users. I think you could avoid that by just removing pass=yes
from the master passdb. If you try to log in with invalid username, the
userdb lookup should fail later.