[Dovecot] setting up Dovecot

Scott Berry scottbb1973 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 12 01:35:42 EET 2010

Hello there,

I am a new user of Dovecot.  I am using version 1.2.12.  Here is the
config file:

I attached the dovecot.conf file as a screenshot using dovecot -n
because I am blind and haven't quite figured out how to copy from the
terminal to Gnome yet.  My intentions here are as follows:

1.  To allow only pop3s because I want to use ssl for security.

2.  I am going to be using fetchmail to grab the mail and give it to
dovecot.

3.  There will be three people adventually grabbing their mail through
pop3s.

Another question I have is when you tell someone to configure their mail
client through pop3s  how does that work as far as the server name
meaning like most ISp's have pop.whatever.whatever.?

Also I am using a smarthost with postfix to send out the mail through
Google how do I tell someone how to configure the smtp server in their
mail client such as Isp's such as smtp.whatever.whatever.   I am using
Windows for two of the clients with Windows Mail on a Vista machine and
Windows Mail on a Windows 7 machine and Evolution on a Ubuntu linux
machine.  Looks to me like everything is copeastetic except for how to
log in.  The SSL cert file in "/etc/ssl/certs/dovecot.pem" is a bit
tricky cause I didn't create the cert so I am not sure of the password
but I did try my normal root password.  Not sure if that works.  Other
than this actually Dovecot is quite easy to config.