[Dovecot] Is Dovecot Director stable for production??

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sun Nov 14 02:12:17 EET 2010

On 13.11.2010, at 22.50, Aliet Santiesteban Sifontes wrote:
> doveadm director map I get
>
> user                                              mail server ip expire time
> <unknown>                                         172.29.9.11    2010-11-13
> 17:43:31
>
> lmtp, imap and pop director working but in the list the user appears as
> unknown, how tofix this??
> any ideas??

Director doesn't keep track of username -> IP mappings. It keeps track of CRC32(username) -> IP mappings. So if you want to list user -> IP, doveadm needs to get a list of all usernames so it can map them to the CRC32 (which of course isn't necessarily 1:1). So either you need to make "doveadm user '*'" working (in sql/ldap you have iterate_* settings) or you need to put all the usernames into a file and give -f file parameter to doveadm director map.

>> Today I will try Dovecot Director for a setup using a Cluster Backend with
>> GFS2 on rhel5, my question is if is Director stable for use in production
>> for large sites,

I know there are at least two production installations and I haven't heard complaints for months, so I guess they're working.