[Dovecot] Single-instance storage is bad for you!

Jose Celestino japc at co.sapo.pt
Mon Nov 15 14:01:49 EET 2010

On Dom, 2010-11-14 at 22:34 -0800, Daniel L. Miller wrote:

> You're quite the enabler, Timo!  Now any mail admin who tries to lecture
> users on only sending attachments to those in-house personnel who really
> need it, because otherwise it's wasteful of precious server storage
> space, is going to hear the response, "Dude - don't stress out so much -
> just setup Dovecot with SIS!".
>
> Thanks again!

Hi,

I have to agree that Dovecot promotes bad habits.

For instance we used to have to check cpu usage graphics for our IMAP
servers several times a day with the previous server software, now
sometimes a day passes and we don't check it. At first the operations
dudes would notice our not logging in and call to check if we're sick,
if our fifth grandfather had passed away or if we had hurt both our
hands playing badminton, again, now they just look with a weird
you-lazy-bastard kind of look.

Also we used to be called often because of IMAP problems and we were
always full alert, nowadays we sometimes don't even answer the phone if
we're in the middle of a urban terror game because we're almost sure
that the call is not to report a problem and those nice red team folks
really depend on our headshot skills and the blue team ones on our
grenade throwing disability.

I think Timo should quit the crap and revert some patches to institute
the old and healthy practices!!

--
Jose Celestino | http://japc.uncovering.org/files/japc-pgpkey.asc