[Dovecot] POP users complaining about multiple copies of mail

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Nov 16 19:57:20 EET 2010

On Tue, 2010-11-16 at 12:47 -0500, H. Wade Minter wrote:
> I've just gone in and set mail_location
>
> root at bunning:~# dovecot -n | grep mail_loc
> mail_location: maildir:~/Maildir

What, you're using maildir after all? Then you should remove this
setting:

mail_privileged_group = mail

> Is there anything I need to do about the mbox/UIDL issue?  Config variables to tweak?

If you're using Maildir, there's almost no chance of UIDLs changing. You
could of course manually log in and check:

telnet localhost 110
user foo
pass bar
uidl

Save the output -> look at it again after user redownloaded mails ->
compare the output to see if it had changed (besides the intentional
message deletions and new messages).